Monday, September 2, 2013

One Year of Curmudgeon-y Goodness...

Image completely unrelated to blog post. I just like it. :)
Some of you may have caught on to the notion that this weekend was something of an "anniversary" weekend for the Old Curmudgeon and me. It's true... we started going out on weekends in early July of 2012, and we became official sometime in the early days of September. The truth is I don't know exactly when. Because I'm emotionally retarded, that's why. Here's the scoop:

Sometime in the early portion of September of last year (I want to say it was the weekend before my birthday, so probably the 8th or 9th, somewhere in there), we went out one evening with a couple of the Old Curmudgeon's friends. One of them I shall call Chuck, because this is actually his nickname even though it isn't his real name by any means. Chuck is an Air Force buddy of the Old Curmudgeon's. The other is Chuck's wife, and I can't really think of anything creative for her because I still don't know her that well. We shall call her "Stacy" (which is not even close to her real name, and in fact only has 1 letter in common with her real name).

So, naturally, it turned into the Old Curmudgeon and Chuck playing catch-up at one end of the bar and me and Stacy socializing at the other even though we didn't really know each other. And I forget what brought it on, but Stacy felt compelled to ask me, "So, what exactly is your relationship to Train right now?" (Train, BTW, is the Old Curmudgeon's Air Force nickname and I've learned that anyone who knows him primarily through the Air Force will refer to him as "Train" or "Night Train" 9 times out of 10. It's an interesting subculture... I've heard how he got the nickname, and I've heard how Chuck came to be called Chuck. Both are funny stories.)

Anyway, back to my narrative, the question gave me pause. I reflected for a moment and wasn't really sure how to answer. The Old Curmudgeon and I had been hanging out on weekends for a couple of months by that point (as friends, I thought) but I was beginning to maybe pick up on a fuzzier vibe unless I was mistaken. So I confessed to Stacy that I actually had no idea. She grumbled something about, "Well, we'll see about that."

At that point, the Old Curmudgeon had accompanied Chuck outside to smoke (Chuck smokes, the Old Curmudgeon does not, for the record) and as soon as they came back in Stacy grabbed Chuck's arm and started whispering something in his ear. Chuck then grabbed the Old Curmudgeon and they went right back outside. I was mildly intrigued by this, but there was a live band in the bar and it was really way too loud to hear what anyone was saying anyway unless they were yelling directly in your ear.

Finally, Chuck and the Old Curmudgeon came back in, and this time the Old Curmudgeon (who may need a shorter alias if I'm gonna type it so much) came over and sat by me. He said, "So, I hear that you don't really know what's going on between us." I told him that I didn't, and reminded him that I was emotionally retarded and had warned him about that. He said, "Well, we're together and we're going to be together for a very long time, as long as you're okay with that."

I was okay with that.

Anyway, by the time I actually got let in on the fact that we were together, apparently we had been in the Old Curmudgeon's mind for an indeterminate period of time. So I just split the difference between the time I began picking up on some not-so-just-friends vibes (mid-August-ish) and when it was actually confirmed for me and call it August 31st-ish.

Happy Anniversary to us! And yes, we do plan on getting married "sometime". We've discussed it. No concrete plans at this point, so don't get excited. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment